Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
16. 4. 2005 10:42
The first church here was a Saxon Minster. It was refounded in 1106 as the Augustinian Priory of St Mary Overie by the Bishop of Winchester, whose town house was close by in Winchester Square, and takenover at the Dissolution in the 16th Century as the Parish Church of St Saviour, becoming a cathedral in 1905. Warehouses which had blocked the view of the Cathedral from the River for 140 years were recently demolished and the grounds of the Cathedral re-landscaped as part of a Millennium project.